The Finnish method of teaching maths to young people has been given the accolade of frontrunner in the European Programme for International Student Development (PISA) report into the academic outcomes of European countries. Due to this, this new way of teaching children is gaining popularity in other nations.
What Does It Include?
The colourful, interactive and easy to engage with course content is tailored to appeal to children. Children will love the puzzles and games that draw on the practical mathematical situations that they come across in their day to day lives. This means learning is relatable to the real world rather than theoretical. In 321 math! 3B, the subjects included are Measurement, Fractions and Decimals, Multiplication with Large Numbers, Numbers up to 10 000 and Addition and Subtraction within 10 000.
How Does It Work?
All learning takes place online, meaning children can study at a time and in a place that suits them. This makes the course content a great solution for a children who need to improve their mathematical skillset either in an education setting or at home.
KEY LEARNING POINTS
Progress through the course content to build confidence and competence in maths.
- Explore units of both time and size in practical situations.
- Explore the passage of time as it relates to activities undertaken at different times of the day using digits, roman numerals and electronic numerals.
- Consolidate the ability to mark time on a 24 hour clock to the accuracy of one minute.
- Explore the passage of time further with real life examples like bus timetables and TV schedules.
- Recap knowledge on units of length including metres, decimetres, centimetres and millimetres.
- Learn how to add and subtract distances and lengths.
- Explore simple calculations on metres and kilometres including distance travelled based on speed and time.
- Find out about calculating mass using the units of gram and kilogram.
- Learn how to work out volume using litres and decilitres.
- Explore some additional games and puzzles, word problems before tackling the verification lesson.
Fractions and Decimals
- Get an introduction to fractions and their use in everyday situations.
- Practise dividing familiar objects into equal parts.
- Begin to understand how to read, name, note and compare simple fractions.
- Explore how fractions can be written.
- Look at how fractions can be compared on a number line.
- Take a closer look at adding and subtracting fractions.
- Using practical examples, learn how fractions make up equal parts of a whole and how fractions are part of a set.
- Explore decimal numbers and how they are used in real life.
- Focus on decimal numbers and how they relate to money.
- Try some word exercises and explore some more puzzles and games before completing the verification lesson.
Multiplication with Large Numbers
- Learn about how we use multiplication to solve problems in everyday life.
- Focus on multiplying by tens and hundreds.
- Move on to multiplying two digit numbers up to 1000.
- Get an introduction to the multiplication table for full tens up to 1000.
- Start to explore column multiplication by a single digit number up to 1000.
- Move on to multiplication with regrouping and practise some examples.
- Consolidate knowledge with word problems, games and puzzles and the verification lesson.
Numbers up to 10 000
- Enjoy a game introducing numbers up to 10 000 before moving on to some puzzles and games.
- Use cubes to visualise the structure of the number 10 000.
- Explore full hundreds up to 10 000 in a variety of ways including on a number line.
- Focus on thousands, hundreds and tens then thousands, hundreds, tens and ones.
- Try some exercise that consolidate number comparison skills.
- Have a go at some word problems before trying some more puzzles and games.
- Finish with a lesson that verifies knowledge.
Addition and Subtraction within 10 000
- Get an introduction to addition and subtraction within 10 000.
- Learn about partitioning numbers up to 10 000.
- Gain an insight into adding full hundreds up to 10 000.
- Explore adding numbers up to 10 000, crossing the threshold of ten and hundred.
- Focus on subtracting numbers from 10 000.
- Find out about column addition and column subtraction.
- Focus on column addition and subtraction with numbers containing zero.
- Tackle the word problems, more puzzles and games and the verification lesson.
ADVANTAGES OF THIS COURSE
- Study on all your internet enabled devices at the time and at a pace that suits you best.
- Technical support is on hand should you encounter problems.
- Access to the course content is for 12 months after signing up.
- The course content is designed to bridge the gap between formal and informal learning.
- Adaptive exercises can easily be adjusted to the pupil’s own level.
- ICT skills are incorporated and a positive attitude and active role in everyday maths and mathematical thinking are embedded in the multisensory course content.
- A child centred approach is at the heart of all activities.
- Rewards on completion of tasks encourage motivation.
- Explore the state of the art fully interactive demo lessons before you sign up.
- Using this new approach doesn’t just unlock learning, it promotes an enjoyment of maths. Master maths today by signing up to 321 math! 3B.
UNITS OF STUDY